Estate Planning Services In & Around Charlotte, NC
There’s a lot more to estate planning than who will inherit your assets. At Matheson Law Firm, P.A., we understand that estate planning can be a complex and daunting process. We know that good estate planning goes beyond naming beneficiaries — it’s an opportunity to design and preserve your legacy.
Estate planning is an important process that can help your family make important decisions during difficult times. It’s never too late or early to start crafting your estate plan. Whether you need a will, trust, or power of attorney, Matheson Law Firm is available for all your estate planning needs.
Call us at (704) 439-1350 to request an estate planning consultation with our attorneys.
What Is Estate Planning?
Estate planning is the process of arranging for the transfer of your assets after you pass away. This may involve:
- Creating a will
- Establishing trusts
- Designating beneficiaries for retirement accounts and life insurance policies
- Executing powers of attorney
The primary goal of estate planning is to ensure that your assets are distributed according to your wishes and that your loved ones are provided for after your death.
Learn more about what estate planning is and how our attorneys can help by calling (704) 439-1350 to request an estate planning consultation today.
What Is Involved When It Comes to Estate Planning?
Depending on your specific situation, there may be several different types of documents involved in preparing your estate plan. At Matheson Law Firm, we offer a broad range of estate planning services, including:
- Last Will: Used to distribute property to beneficiaries, specify last wishes, and name guardians for minor children. Without a last will, the courts will make these decisions for you.
- Living Will: This lets you outline important healthcare decisions in advance, such as whether or not to remain on artificial life support.
- Health Care Power of Attorney: Allows you to appoint someone you trust to make critical healthcare decisions for you if you cannot.
- Trusts: Used to transfer property to beneficiaries. Once a trust is signed, you’ll transfer ownership of your assets into the trust and remain in complete control of your property. It’s not usually subject to the probate court, which can take years.
- Irrevocable Trusts: Legal arrangement that cannot be terminated and the terms of which cannot be changed unless the named beneficiary or beneficiaries agree. The advantages of an irrevocable trust are: providing a tax shelter and protecting assets from creditors.
- Revocable Trusts: Legal arrangements that can be changed by the creators of the trust.
- Probate: Ensures that a deceased person’s debts are paid, and property is distributed in an orderly way. It follows the terms of a will as well as state law.
Our experienced attorneys can help you determine which estate planning tools are right for your unique situation and goals. Start your estate planning process today by calling us at (704) 439-1350 to request a consultation.
Our Estate Planning Process
The first step is to call our office and schedule your initial meeting with an attorney. Before your first meeting, you will need to complete an intake form. During your first meeting, you and your attorney will go over the form of your personal and family situation, review any existing estate planning documents, and review your assets. Then, we will begin to focus on what you hope to accomplish with your estate plan.
Once we understand what you want, then we will design your plan by determining which documents you need to achieve your estate planning goals, what those documents will say, and how much they will cost. We will then prepare a draft of all your documents for your review. Once you review and agree to the documents, you will sign them in our office.
Don’t make the mistake of putting off your estate plan. Contact Matheson Law Firm at (704) 439-1350 to get started with an initial estate planning meeting today!
Get Assistance With Your Charlotte, NC Estate Planning Needs
With over 20 years of professional experience, Matheson Law Firm is uniquely capable of handling all your estate planning requests. We are dedicated to offering each of our clients the personalized, responsive solutions they deserve when it comes to planning their estate.
Allow our team of attorneys to help you ensure that your assets are distributed exactly as you wish them to be after your passing.
Call us at (704) 439-1350 to request estate planning assistance from Matheson Law Firm today!